Celebrating 150 Years in Olathe
In 1858, a group of Southern Methodists, meeting in each other’s homes, began the Methodist Church of Olathe. In 1869 church members raised money to purchase property at the corner of Cherry and Loula streets where the Methodist Episcopal Church of Olathe was built. This white frame building was remodeled twice, in 1892 and 1907.
With continued growth, a new red brick structure was built on the same site and dedicated on June 3, 1917. This building served the congregation and community well for many years. Harsh weather conditions over time damaged the walls and foundations and sections of the building were eventually condemned.
In 1958, the red brick church was sold and the church on Harrison Street was constructed. The building, housing the reconditioned organ from the old church, was dedicated on December 7, 1958.
On June 1, 1994, First United Methodist Church, which began in 1858, merged with Hope United Methodist Church, which began in 1988. The new church community became Grace United Methodist Church.
Today, about 2,200 people call Grace home. We moved into our current site at 11485 Ridgeview Road, Olathe, in the fall of 1999. We hope to more effectively share the Word of God in the community from our new location. We celebrate worship every Saturday and Sunday, and offer Sunday School classes for all ages on Sunday mornings at the Ridgeview building. In addition, this building hosts many activities throughout the week.
For the full story, click here.